18 April 2012

KING OF PROCRASTINATION

Hey Everybody,

I of course don't always get around to updating this blog as much as I would like for various reasons, usually due to my work schedule leaving me zapped of motivation to work on things at the end of the day and then when the weekend rolls around, that time gets spent taking care of all the other stuff that needs to get done. Anyhow, where I am going with this is discussing procrastination, something I am good at lol. It's certainly not that my mind isn't always all over the place with ideas for projects, but as I mentioned before, the motivation to do them doesn't match it.

So along those lines, I finally got around to doing and getting two things I have been meaning to do forever now... Airbrushing and Pigment Weathering.

I have used external mix airbrushes with canned propellant in the past.



Airbrushes such as these are really no different than using a can of spraypaint. They don't have any real control and are only good for basecoating things. The benefit is the fact they allow the use of acrylic paints to be used which is good on certain soft plastics and vinyls to which enamel paints would have a reaction to and stay tacky forever. As I mentioned, when I have used them in the past I used canned propellant which has it's own issues such as having to keep it the right temperature to maintain pressure, etc. So having gotten tired of doing that, two years ago I thought I would try my hand at using a proper dual action internal mix airbrush running off a compressor.


So at that time after watching and reading several reviews on beginning airbrushing, I purchased a Master Series G23 Dual Action. This is a relatively inexpensive airbrush that works well and matches many features of more expensive ones. However, back to procrastinating, it wasn't until recently that I actually got around to getting the damn compressor to use the thing...lol. So having gotten the compressor in the mail yesterday I have begun to actually learn to use the brush. So stay tuned for what will come of that.

The other thing I mentioned is weathering with pigments. Basically pigment weathering is talking chalk powders and dusting them onto an item or mixing them with water or rubbing alcohol to create a wash which you then paint an item with and once dry it leaves a dirty appearance. Again, this was something I have known about and been meaning to try for ages, but only finally got around to it (also having bought a set of chalks for it like 2 years ago). My main use for this starting out is with my idols:

Dark gold idol (1)

Whilst in B movies the elements and time don't affect artifacts, I have wanted to use the pigment washes to make them look less "museum" quality, so I'll have pictures of how that has come out.


So more to come on these two topics soon.

Thanks for following.

No comments: