20 October 2010

Mega Blocks HALO Minifig Custom

In a follow up from my post yesterday about the Mega Blocks HALO figures, I wanted to show off how nice these figures really are. They have surprising nice detailing, something that is lost on a factory mass produced paint job, then again, I can't expect a lot for $2 each. But with a little bit of paint application, you can really bring out the details and turn this:

CUSTOMMINIMASTERCHIEF (2)

Into this:

CUSTOMMINIMASTERCHIEF (5)

CUSTOMMINIMASTERCHIEF (3)

CUSTOMMINIMASTERCHIEF (8)

CUSTOMMINIMASTERCHIEF

CUSTOMMINIMASTERCHIEF (7)

I started out with trying a simple drybrushing of the armor with Deco Art Dazzling Metallics "Festive Green". This didn't turn out great IMHO.

So I then washed over the entire figure with Games Workshop Citadel Colour "Orc Flesh Wash"... This is an old color that I don't think they make anymore even... I'm surprised it's still good... just goes to show how GW has made their paint pots to purposely let their paints dry out, as this is still in the OLD OLD style paint pot and I've had it for at least 15 years.

Once the wash was dry, I then drybrushed over the armor with Daler Rowney FW Pearlescent Ink "Macaw Green".

MACAW GREEN

Once the armor was finished, I them moved to the visor. I started with Games Workshop Citadel Colour "Burnished Gold" for the base. I followed that with Citadel Colour "Flesh Wash". Again, this is one of those colors they no longer make, and I have had this bottle for about 15 years... again proving the theory that GW makes their paints dry out on purpose for sales... but moving on.

Once the wash was dried, I then went back and painted the interior areas of the panes on the visor with Daler Rowney FW Pearlescent "Mazuma Gold".

Finally, to finish the figure off I painted the major visible unarmored parts of the suit with Privateer Press Formula P3 "Cryx Bane Base" which is a dark grey.

I added a couple details to the Pulse Rifle, drybushing it with GW Citadel Colour "Boltgun Metal", painting the rubber foregrip section with the Formula P3 "Cryx Bane Base", and then a dab of Formula P3 "Coal Black" which is a dark teal on the LED Round Counter.

Overall I feel this quick paint job really brought out the nice detailing on these figures and at some point I will probably try on a few more.

No comments: